The Doctor Sent Her Away

“The Doctor won’t even see her,” my sister said.
What?
Major infection is in her arm –
the arm where she had the surgery!
“That’s why they won’t help her at the clinic –
because it’s associated with the surgery.  They say we must go
to the hospital emergency room –
the black hole of medicine.”

My God – what is happening to the world?
How can doctors and nurses turn away an 80 year old woman
who just had surgery –
and now has infection –
in so much pain –
so ill?
What about the oath –
to do no harm?

She waits in the hospital emergency room for hours –
The infection grows with each passing moment.
The discoloration of skin and seeping pus –
symptoms of infection that permeates the arm
and flows upward searching to destroy the surgeon’s handiwork
and the Father’s creation.
The neglect and seeping apathy –
symptoms of infection that permeates many in the ‘system’
and flows out searching to destroy those who pay with their last dollar
and last breath.

Father, protect her.
Bring her someone who still cares –
who still listens –
who acts.
He does.

–Dawn Cawthon Behrens
Advertisements

About grandawn

I work as administrative support in the Oklahoma State University Art Dept. For the past few years, I have been responsible for finances, paperwork, and other decisions for my parents who lived in Texas. Working now to finalize everything after Father's death in 2012 and Mother's death in 2013. I also keep busy blogging, writing children's books, and occasionally shooting commercials. I live in Oklahoma, USA. I have three wonderful grandchildren. I am a teacher, writer, actor, singer. . . and whatever else I can manage.
This entry was posted in Family, Poems and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Doctor Sent Her Away

1. opoetoo says:

Glad she is better.
    I like the last few lines best!

2. adeeyoyo says:

Sad indictment of our society! So it’s not only 3rd World countries. I know some people become doctors just for the earning potential and it’s a disgrace!

3. Madmom says:

How awful. I do hope by now that she is doing much better.

4. granny1947 says:

Oh my word…I thought it was only our health system that was so ghastly!
    I am so glad she is doing better.

5. nrhatch says:

Evocative poem . . . awful situation.

6. Vivian Zabel says:

More and more doctors and hospitals refuse to accept new patients who are on Medicare, or even let them go, refuse to keep them as patients.

Our wonderful government-run health care in action.

7. knittingmaestro says:

How horrible…..I’m praying….

• grandawn says:

Thank you! She is much better today after antibiotics through IV in the hospital. Of course, she would much rather not be back in the hospital – being in the hospital for the shoulder replacement surgery was more than enough. 🙂

8. cindy says:

Terrifying, heartbreaking.
    Medicine is no longer a vocation, it is just another cut-throat business.

• grandawn says:

Some of the medical personnel who have treated my mother during her surgery and now through this ordeal have really tried. It just seems there are more and more who appear not to care. It breaks my heart.