Re-Living the Playground

The swing looks so inviting
To fly – to fly – up high. . .
The seat is pinching my behind
When it wraps around my thigh.

The merry-go-round looks easy
Around and round and round.
I’m holding on – I’m running – then
I’m falling to the ground.

The slide – simple and friendly.
But the steps look kinda steep.
The top at last!  To touch the earth
Would cause my heart to weep.

The monkey bars – you’re kidding!
These hands won’t hold the weight.
The difficulty clutching on
Leaves, really, no debate.

That shade tree looks so pleasant –
I need to take a rest.
A drink and then a picnic lunch –
Won’t that just be the best?

Ahhhhh. . .

–Dawn Cawthon Behrens
Advertisements

About grandawn

I work as administrative support in the Oklahoma State University Art Dept. For the past few years, I have been responsible for finances, paperwork, and other decisions for my parents who lived in Texas. Working now to finalize everything after Father's death in 2012 and Mother's death in 2013. I also keep busy blogging, writing children's books, and occasionally shooting commercials. I live in Oklahoma, USA. I have three wonderful grandchildren. I am a teacher, writer, actor, singer. . . and whatever else I can manage.
This entry was posted in Aging & Changing, Poems and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Re-Living the Playground

1. knittingmaestro says:

well done…..

2. I have always said that one day when I own my own home I will have a weeping willow tree in the garden with a tyre swing in it. This has just reminded me how much I really want that. Thanks for popping in at my blog recently.

3. lyndatjie says:

Charmingly written and very true! I used to love our playground because there was a myriad of things I could do to make my mother age before my eyes. Why can’t we fit on those seats anymore? And shouldn’t they be making it bigger in anticipation of those of us who want to revisit their youth? 🙂

• grandawn says:

Thank you! You must be visiting in my brain. I have wondered myself why they don’t make the swing seats bigger – or use the flat seats instead of those wrap-around torture seats. Good grief!

4. granny1947 says:

Re the pinching seats…isn’t it dreadful the way our shapes change as we get old/older?
    One day you look in the mirror and say … !!!!

5. slpmartin says:

Such a wonderful and playful poem…I’ve been tempted as I look at the playground, but fortunately have not yielded …so my orthopedic surgeon and chiropractor will have to make their own boat payments this month.

6. New Attitude says: