“She” in the Mirror

I look in the mirror –
expecting a young, vibrant
girl –
seeing instead, a lined, sagging, aged
woman.

Yesterday, the girl was there.
Never beautiful –
she was one of those acknowledged as “a great personality” –
but smoother, tighter skin,
shinier hair,
whiter smile,
fuller lips –
no jowls or chicken neck –

Who is this ancient in the mirror?
Where did she come from?
She wasn’t there yesterday.

She stares back at me as if she knows me.
Are her eyes familiar –
an erstwhile spark hidden there?
Do I recognize the antique face?  I don’t want to.

But I know. . .
 “she” is me.
(Sigh. . .)

–Dawn Cawthon Behrens

Linking lines: theonlycin-My Body

Advertisements

About grandawn

I work as administrative support in the Oklahoma State University Art Dept. For the past few years, I have been responsible for finances, paperwork, and other decisions for my parents who lived in Texas. Working now to finalize everything after Father's death in 2012 and Mother's death in 2013. I also keep busy blogging, writing children's books, and occasionally shooting commercials. I live in Oklahoma, USA. I have three wonderful grandchildren. I am a teacher, writer, actor, singer. . . and whatever else I can manage.
This entry was posted in Aging & Changing, Poems and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to “She” in the Mirror

1. Tokeloshe says:

Excellent!

You are so fortunate to have such a beautiful painting of yourself.

Take care.

2. knittingmaestro says:

today…..i feel i’ve earned every wrinkle on my face……maybe tomorrow will be better! ::sigh::

3. slpmartin says:

What a brilliant poem…as I read it I thought of the Mose Allison song “I Looked in The Mirror”…it has a similar plot line.

• grandawn says:

Thank you, slpmartin. Very kind words from you – your poetry creates such vivid pictures. Mose Allison is a new name to me – so, of course, I had to do quick research. I didn’t find this song. But I now have been introduced to another musical listening outlet.

4. Pingback: MY BODY « The only Cin

5. cindy says:

Beautifully written and I love the pic.
    “She” is the canvas of your life, your treasure chest.
    I’d like to link this to your poem:

• grandawn says:

Thank you, Cindy. I agree. And you’ve written about that beautifully in your poem. I have linked to your poem at the bottom of this page.

Yes, I love that pic too. It’s a cropped version of a poster for a play in which I appeared (see Grandawn’s Stage Faces). Me in makeup with a pic of 1st Daughter as a teenager.